Monday 25 November 2013

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

I’ve been busy lately making a few different Christmas products. I recently discovered a website called Instructables (they have an app as well). I found these two different Christmas crafts to try from the Intstructables site: socksnowmen, crayon melt glass baubles/oranments and these painted baubles/ornaments on a website called Favecrafts. For full instructions please follow the links above.

The first ones I tried to make were the crayon melt baubles. I picked up the glass baubles from Spotlight. They stocked three different shapes at my Spotlight. Just make sure when you buy them that you check for broken or cracked ones. These were very easy and quick to make. I’d definitely make these again. I love the look of them – very festive. The only thing I would do differently is to try and find some gloves to use that will protect my hands from the heat! I did manage to burn my fingers when making these. I was afraid of wearing fabric gloves though as the glass ornaments were very slippery. Rubber gloves also don’t work as the rubber heats up too. 

I then tried the painted glass ornaments. I used acrylic paint to make these and found that I did need to drip a fair amount in order for it to run down the sides. I then left them upside down for nearly a week to get these ornaments to dry. A lot of paint dripped out of the bottom (wasteful!) and changed the look of how they were. I also found out later, that they weren’t actually dry! Not something I would do again. At least not with acrylic paint (I couldn't find the specific paint that was mentioned in the instructions and I am certain this affected the final product).

Lastly, I made the sock snowmen (of course I had to try these – we all know how I love a good sock craft!). I tried making the sock snowmen as shown in the instructable, but I found I didn’t like how the body sat when using the method shown. A friend of mine shared this sock snowmantutorial with me via Facebook so I tried this one too. I really love how these turned out! Super cute. In the next lot I do though I’m going to use more ‘festive’ socks and add more embellishments. I also didn’t have any toothpicks to use for the nose so I just did little felt noses which I think worked out well.
Stay tuned for more crafts in the lead up to Christmas!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin,

    This is Julia from FaveCrafts. I just wanted to stop by and say thanks so much for featuring our site in this post. We are so glad you found some DIY ornaments to enjoy! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete