Friday 26 July 2013

Roar, Roar Dinosaur!

With Jeffrey’s second birthday fast approaching I decided to make him another sock animal. He recently has become interested in dinosaurs, so a dinosaur it was! Since this was the first time I was making a dinosaur, I used two plain socks that I didn’t really care about. I’m pretty happy with the end result as the contrasting colours worked well together. One sock became the body of the dinosaur and the other became the spikes, mouth and limbs. I used felt for the mouth, eyes and spots.


I had some difficulties with the spine. Firstly, it was difficult to stuff due to its size and shape, and secondly, getting it to stay pinned in place to sew it to the body. In the end I found that pinning it with safety pins and then sewing the ends on before sewing the rest in place worked really well. However, once that was done I found another problem… It looked wrong as there was no spike by the head of the dinosaur! So, out came the scraps that had been discarded and an additional spike was fashioned and put into place. Presto!


This week I was also requested to try and make a version of ‘Slimey’ the worm from Sesame Street. This is the result.


While he doesn’t look much like ‘Slimey’ (I gave no promises to my friend), he is cute and perfect for little kids. I used pipe-cleaners within the body to allow him to bend as well, which should be fun for the kids too.


The other project I undertook this week was to make a sock monkey baby rattle. This one is for my baby. He has been made using one baby sock, stuffing, embroidery thread and a bell. 
Upon testing with my baby he seems to be a hit! Since the rattle is for little babies, I embroidered the eyes instead of using buttons to make sure there was no choking hazard.


No comments:

Post a Comment